The Pathways of History
Four Museums and Three Historic Properties
Will open their doors in a grand coordinated weekend event!
Admission is free
The Oscar A. Kincaid Home of History, 591 Powerville Road, Boonton Township
Proudly owned and operated by the Historical Society of Boonton Township
Although visitors may start the tour at any location, we suggest you begin at the Oscar A. Kincaid Home of History. The charismatic 1837 folk art face in the front stair hall will greet and certainly captivate you. This is Boonton Township’s second oldest frame house and is currently undergoing restoration. Visitors can see what has been done, and what remains to be completed. The little roadstand, believed to be one of New Jersey’s oldest in continual operation, will be open to the public and will house a collection of tools and equipment that were used at “Valley Farm.”
Exhibits will include:
· An eclectic collection of local art showcasing Rockaway Valley Barns and Outbuildings. Some of the paintings are more than 70 years old and feature buildings that are now sadly gone from the local landscape
· A special exhibit on “Powerville” and ironmaster William Scott
· Artifacts unearthed during the Kincaid house restoration project
· A tribute to Boonton Township’s schools of yesteryear.
· Mrs. Kincaid’s farm kitchen equipped as it would have been in the early 20th Century
Refreshments will be served:
It’s harvest time at the Kincaid farm and Mrs. Kincaid’s kitchen will be filled with the scent of freshly baked country recipes – some from her personal handwritten cookbook! Please stay for refreshments, sit awhile and enjoy the still rural landscape from Oscar’s rocking chair porch.
Pick up an event brochure and detailed map here to guide you on the route. Housed in venerable buildings of local significance, each museum you visit is unique and has a fascinating story to share. Be sure to visit them all! Scenic Morris County roads provide an easily drivable loop connecting all the participating museums and historical properties.
For more information contact us at 973-263-0907